Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blog 2: What is body image?

Body image is in my mind a hard definition to explain because it means a few things to me. Body image is the thought of what women and men think about their bodies; but I feel like it is a thought from a negative standpoint. It's almost as if women think about their bodies and the imperfections they have. Women always think about the imperfections they have and tell themselves, " I wish I looked like Heidi Klum". I understand that when you say the phrase "body image" the definition that comes to mind is what people feel about their body but I feel the phrase "body image" runs deeper than that. I think it's very important to study this topic because it affects so many Americans.


In the third wave of feminism, image and body are at the center of feminist anaysis. In the first two waves of feminism, there were organized movements, with clearly defined goals. In the third wave of feminism, women have not united as much, but have expanded the fight for equal rights. The third wave of feminism has surrounded itself with pop culture that way it could use the media. Rather than surround itself by legal and political issues like the first two waves of feminism.


In the introduction of Body Outlaw, author Ophira Edut describes "a rebel with a cause, willing to step outside my comfort zone, to expose people to a body type that had practically disappeared from the cultural imagination." Edut is arguing that society tells us we need to dress with as much skin showing as possible but you have to be skinny to do that. An example would be comedian/actress Monique. She is a heavy set women who dresses very classy but does reveal skin at times. Monique seems to be very happy with her body though, she is a good role model for bigger women because she is very confident in herself. Here is a picture of Monique:

1 comment:

  1. I have looked at many blogs and noticed that Monique is the most believed to fit the body outlaw label. And i certainly agree. I have been a fan of Monique for a while now and to see a heavy set woman feel great in her own skin sets such a good example for other full figured woman. You will find that she tends to make fun of skinner women sometime but to me it is only to prove that bigger women also can have it better. Another thing I actually find interesting with Monique is that she does not shave her legs. She is fine with her natural beauty and many woman can use a little Monique in them!

    ReplyDelete